Thursday, May 23, 2024

It's only a photograph!


It's only a photograph! 
But is it!

Consent for photographs/recording during a yoga class, sound session or any similar holistic type session. 

In a world were consent is a big topic, how is your consent gained to take and use photographs of you while attending one of the sessions above. 
Have you even considered this?

Or do you just make the assumption that having you photograph taken (and that photo possibly being used to promote the class) is part of a yoga class.

How should consent be gained? Prior to the session - at the session?  Individually or as a group?  Verbally or written? Was there a disclaimer saying photograph/s may/will be taken during the session/sessions that you attend? 
I know there are many reasons someone may not want their photograph taken in a one of these sessions and then shared. The reasons for this are again a massive topic - I'm not getting into that here. Some people may say yes when they mean no if they are put on the spot as they enter a class. I was one of those people.

After completing several yoga courses that covered the topics of consent, trauma and yoga as a safe space. I realised I'm not the only who is not comfortable with having my photo take during a class. And just how big this topic is!

I have a no photographs in class policy at YMS. 
I want YMS to feel like a safe space to all who attend classes and sessions here.
I personally have never been one for taking photos during the classes I facilitate - I am too in the moment to remember and it doesn't feel appropriate for me to break off from teaching to take photos. 
I would never take photographs in classes or sessions I facilitate. 
Not even the rest at the end of class. 
Especially not in the rest at the end.  

That said I have been asked occasionally to take a photo of a student after class for their personal use, I am more than happy to do this.

Most people may be more than happy to have their photograph taken during a class but what about those who are uncomfortable with this - I am one of them. This could lead to them thinking that a yoga class is not a safe space and this becomes a barrier to them attending classes. 

At YMS photographs are never taken of you in any of the classes or sessions without prior notice/consent.

Sarsha ✨

For me yoga is a place go let go of the social pressures of how I should and shouldn't be/look/perform. I look to yoga as safe space. This is not a place I personally would want others taking photographs of me. 

If I was to want or need photographs during a class/session there would be full disclosure that photography would be happening in this session and what the photographs would be used for. Prior written consent gained, with full option for declining the use of any photographs taken during the session. So only those who are perfectly happy about this would attend. And they would still get to approve the use of the photographs once taken.   




 

No comments:

Post a Comment